Tuesday 1 October 2013

First fortnight as an intern... AHHHH!


There's not many jobs where you can melt chocolate into nappies, wear a blue onesie to church, or be carried across an assembly hall by some year sixes whilst having water tipped into your lap - but I am blessed to say I have one of those jobs. I am pretty tired after two weeks of madness (I mean, my boss IS Olly Shaw) but I have enjoyed every day.



The best thing this fortnight has definitely been spending time with da youf. Whether that's the year 7 boys in my cell group or the lovely year 10s who bundled on me at last week's Pathfinders, every single one of them is amazing and I am well excited to get to know them better over the coming year.


My big worry for this year is that it will all go wrong again. I say again, because this is my third gap year, and let's just say the previous two haven't gone quite to plan... I wouldn't be the person I am today without these two last years, but I would love it if for once, my plan went the way I expect. But then again, it's not my plan that's important, is it? As a very lovely lady from church pointed out to me, these aren't “pear-shaped” years, they are “God-shaped”. I love that.


So a word of wisdom this week (not that you've asked for it, nor can I pretend that I am all that wise) would be: stop fussing over whether everything is going how you want it to. Work hard, pray lots, and get obsessed with God. He's the best obsession I've ever had. “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:30) was one of the verses we looked at in this weeks cell group. It makes so much sense to me, because following God isn't something that requires nothing, but what it does require is simple really. It isn't that I won't be burdened, but I will be burdened with something new, something that God knows I can handle and something that lets me let go of the old burdens. Yippee.


I hope this week holds as much fun, worship and time with the wonderful young people as last week. Most of all I hope this week keeps my eyes focused on God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment